Wednesday 12 June 2013

If (PrimarySchool) {TeachProgramming();}

I thought we’d take a break from focusing on the Scottish Industry and discuss my views concerning video games and education. I got thinking about this subject because of E3. Although I’m interested more in the development process of video games, games are still my passion and I still get excited over new announcements, especially if these games are beautiful. While watching Microsoft’s press conference showing of their HAL 9000-- er, I mean Xbox One, we were shown a brief glimpse of Project Spark. This game caught my interest, not because of the gameplay or graphics but because of its rock.

From my understanding, Project Spark allows players to modify objects to behave the way the player wants them to behave. This is done by essentially programming the behaviour of the object. This is all purely speculation as the gameplay has not been 100% confirmed. So how does this fit into education? My view is that the different kinds of code are called Programming Languages for a reason, because that’s exactly what they are: languages. Now, although you cannot walk into a bar and ask for pint using C++ (well you can but you won’t get the pint), you can communicate using these languages. Someone who knows C++ can read a piece of code, written in C++, and understand what is written and what its purpose is. The definition of a ‘language’ is:
“The method of human communication, either spoken or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional way”
Surely this describes a programming language, no? I am not by any means saying that teaching programming and becoming fluent in, say, C++ should replace French or Spanish in schools. But in a world where technology is becoming more and more involved in everyday life should we not have a basic understanding of how this technology works? I’m not just speaking about video games here; code is important in almost everything we use today, from phoning home and letting your mum know you’ll be late to sharing that special picture for the whole world to see (and then complaining that the whole world can see it). The younger generation is constantly being labelled as tech-savvy, but are they really? Yes, they know how to use these app, how to surf the internet and do crazy things using their phones, but do they know how it works?

I am only two years out of school and I was one of the last few years to take traditional Standard Grades. My little sister is in the year where I took my Standard Grades but she is presented with something different: the Curriculum for Excellence. I do not know the ins and outs of the aims of this, my knowledge comes from being in school, speaking to the teachers that were preparing for this change and their reactions to it (that were not always positive but that’s not the point here and we will take the Curriculum aim and not the means by which they achieve this). Now let’s explore the aim of this: schools essentially want to blur the lines between subjects. You will not be learning just history in history class but instead what you are learning in history is also being linked to science or maths. The example I was given by my history teacher was that a class will be taught about the Titanic in history. This isn’t new, as most kids will learn about the Titanic and how it sank, but now they will also learn why it sank, thus tying into their physics subject that would be learning the physics equivalent at the same time.

Now how does programming tie into this? Well programming is not just as simple as learning a language like French or Spanish (although French to me is not exactly simple). It also involves Maths and Physics. See where I’m going? This ties in perfectly with the Curriculum for Excellence: while learning a new language, the materials learned in Maths and Physics classes are also being used. I understand that not many kids want to stare at a screen with lines and lines of text. That’s where Project Spark comes into play.

There have been other games that had similar thought. My school actually had one such game that I stumbled upon in my final year. Although the school had this game, it was never used. Games such as CodeSpells teach kids Java by having them write lines of code to cast spells. These games can be used as a type of entry into programming, learning at a young age and giving them the chance to develop the passion for it. It is clear this works as its used in other areas. Anyone with kids or young siblings has encountered shows like Dora the Explorer. My 5 year old brother can speak better Spanish than I ever could after those many years at school. And because I view programming as a language then why can’t the same apply to programming? Why can’t kids be taught these skills, which would benefit their Maths and Physics skills, from an early age like they do with Spanish and French?

I am not asking for it to be forced on kids as a compulsory subject (often like a language is), in fact I am strongly against that. I’m asking why kids can’t be given the chance to experience a new thing. Why can’t they be given the chance to develop a passion for something that they otherwise did not know even existed? And if the child does not enjoy programming then fine, that’s not the child’s fault, it is not the schools fault; at least they were given the chance to experience it.

Lee Gillespie
Amber Glass Broadcast

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. I have been researching with children for over 3 years now trying to introduce programming and game construction into primary schools using Scratch and it's only 8 hours of it they get but still it's an introduction and yes like you say at least they get the chance to experience it. From experience though most of the children loved the chance to design their own game.

    ReplyDelete