Wednesday 13 March 2013

Gotye Reference Insert Here: What happened to the Resi that I use to know?



The controls in 6 are still quite bad,
But even the iconic ink ribbon’s in pieces,
They've cashed in on the action fad,
Why’d this happen to the Resi that I use to know?

Ok, enough dated references, to the video games! As you may have gotten from this little piece I wrote, I have lately been playing Resident Evil 6, and by play I mean “been helping a friend of mine every Friday or so to complete Jake’s Campaign on a higher difficulty”. Now from reviews, you’d reckon I am with everyone else and hate this game as “it is a mindless action game that betrays the good old games and urgh, my heart medicine!”

No, I don’t hate this game, I have gripes but none of them have anything to do with Resi 1-3 or how close they are to them, if anything I’d hate the game more if it was more accurate to Resi 1-3. Don’t worry, I am not ill with anything and I am serious, Resident Evil 6 would be in my opinion better off without being loyal to Resident Evil 1-3. Heresy? Well you better send in…THE SPANISH INQUISITION!
Damnit, why do they never come when I expect them? Moving on, yes I am the fourth man to admit that Resident Evil 1 through to 3 would hamper and in some cases IS hampering Resident Evil 6. And now it’s time to back up some claims with some explanations.

Let’s start with something I never hear people talk about, resetting the virus from “rather intelligent mutated creatures” back to “mindless zombies” narratively would make no sense. Since the very first game, the antagonist’s goal be it Umbrella or Tricell or Phenotrans, wait that was Dead Rising, never mind…point is all these baddies were aiming to create super soldiers, mutated humans who were not compromised by things like food, water, sleep and generally could shrug off 18 RPGs to the chest!


Pictured: Nemesis. Not Pictured: Zombie Dogs

Now I ask you, when a company is getting to the point of having intelligent mutants that can operate machinery such as guns, why would they ever ever ever ever EVER go back to using typical zombies? Why would you aim for super soldiers, make Nemesis and then say to yourself, “Nah, this whole super soldier thing’s stupid, let’s make more weak shambling zombies! Because they work so well right?...Right?” And on the opposite end, why wouldn’t the protagonists of past games train and gear up? People complained that Chris looked like a muscle building obsessive titan and generally joked that he was taking steroids. Here’s my counter to this, in Resident Evil 1 Chris saw his idol Captain Albert Wesker turn on the team before dying thanks to Tyrant (he got better). Imagine coming back home, sitting down after that and realising:
  1.     Your role model and entire obsession was a lie.
  2. There’s GIANT SUPERHUMAN MONSTERS possibly on the loose!
Now, seeing as Chris would only reappear in Resident Evil 5 (excluding spin offs), wouldn’t that mean there would be a big time gap for him to say “crap, I need to get stronger, I need to be in better shape to take these things down!” Now imagine on top of that, he learns that Wesker is also still alive and has now taken fashion and kung fu from Mr Smith, the same man that betrayed Chris all those years ago. If I was planted in the same situation, I would build myself up like a behemoth too…then I’d probably get the Power Loader from Aliens, get a rocket launcher and rocket jump all the way to Wesker where I’d systematically crush him with as many boulders in sight! Heck, why wouldn't the agents who are now in the Resident Evil games carry giant backpacks filled with ammo and health supplies in these cases? Why would a military unit like Chris’ in Resident Evil 6 NOT have somebody either plant a trunk of ammo for resupplying or even be able to call for more supplies to be dropped? Why? Because Resi 1 to 3 didn't have it, so why should we?

Simply put, the technology on both sides are improving to the point of warfare, without completely severing the storyline and rebooting from the start, you cannot justify maintaining the exact same “horror” gameplay, by that point players would ask questions like “Why are the military not dealing with this?” or “Why is Raccoon City not nuked yet?”, which are addressed in later games…not well, but that is Capcom for you.

Then there is another problem, the Resident Evils from 1 through 3 are not as good at conveying horror as many people’s rose-tinted lenses would suggest. They try at some points, but it really just devolves to jump scares an-
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

You guys have awful timing do you know that? Now where was I, oh yes jump scares and gameplay infringing difficulties. Neither of these things are scary, not even as good tools for tension, they are just an annoyance. Jumps scares are just startling, that dog crashing through the window could only be considered scary if aged polygons with bad colouring terrifies you and you have the rationale of a 7 year old which would not surprise me if some fans of Resident Evil did when they first played it. Then there is the tank controls and the camera that feels the need to bend the 180 rule of filmography over its knee and smack its rear like the 180 rule just broke Resident Evil’s camera’s beloved vase.

Ok horror games developers, I understand that you want the player to feel a loss of power against the threat and make them scared, but please for the love of all that is scared and divine in video games do not try and achieve this by making it frustrating on the player! Tank movement is not fun to deal with especially in tight corridors where I need to make sharp 90 degree turns every now and then whilst running away from a random zombie I can’t kill for reasons be they of my own fault or the game forcing the fate upon me. In a game where ammo must be used sparingly and combat in general can be difficult against just ONE enemy in a box room where both parties have enough space to move around, where does the design make sense when you essentially make fleeing, your go to solution for problems where fighting is impossible, equally as impossible or at least more disadvantageous to you when you realise fighting is necessary? And then there’s the camera, oh boy the camera. It is irritating enough when I have to run down a corridor only for my camera to flip from ahead of me to behind me, effectively forcing me to recollect my bearings in later portions of the game without the result of such violent camera changes also causing my character to run rather quickly into the fangs and nails of the threat I am trying to flee from.

This is not scary, this is irritating.

Now of course, the modern games still have problems that cannot be fully traced to Resi 1 through 3, the whole compulsory co-op partner thing seems pointless beyond serving the plot, quick time events that happen more frequently than you find ammo can go to the deepest cesspools of hell, and some set sequences can lead to a lot of deaths because Capcom seems to want to add so many of them but forget to design them in a way to make the player not get horribly confused and somehow die to those 3 snowflakes of an avalanche that just tapped their snowmobile and no more. At the same time though, I can’t help but feel that Capcom is just trading one thing for another, replace the tank controls for quick time events for instance, both are sources of giving the player little control and maximum frustration. I can’t help feeling that Capcom is being held back by the fact that they want to please fans with horror gameplay like the old games and themselves with coherent narrative and epic set pieces. But unless one side gives, Resident Evil is going to continue this path…though judging by the release of Resident Evil…that 3DS one, I don’t remember, onto consoles I am getting a feeling that the fans are winning.

Ok, I swear my next article will not be another Capcom one, between this, my Darkstalkers article and Max’s Remember Me article you’d think we had a Capcom-themed month of articles…Marcom…Mapcom…Machcom? Eh, whatever.

Greg
Amber Glass Broadcast

No comments:

Post a Comment